Trading Standards exist to protect the interests of consumers and honest businesses. We support these interest groups with information, advice and support. We do this by working with businesses and so please feel free to contact us.
We target enforcement at:
- Traders who break the law deliberately or persistently.
- Traders who take advantage of elderly customers.
- Traders who take advantage of other vulnerable customer groups, such as those on low incomes.
- Traders committing criminal offences.
- Traders who persistently deny consumers their legal rights.
What you must do
Your business must meet the requirements of consumer protection legislation for your trade sector.
You can also download guidance leaflets on your legal obligations. The Office of Fair Trading has produced an excellent, downloadable guide to the law on competition and consumer law.
We monitor the marketplace through inspections that verify that:
- Goods are safe.
- Goods are sold in the right quantity.
- Goods are accurately described and priced.
How we help
- We offer a free and confidential advice service that helps business to comply with the relevant legislation.
- We are ready to discuss your concerns about relevant business problems such as unfair competition.
- We help to keep the market fair for honest businesses.
- We assess businesses and issue licences.
- We test and verify measuring equipment.