Lanarkshire has real strengths across many areas offering the complete package for potential investors and relocators.
The numbers add up ...
- Lanarkshire has a population of 627,000 and an active workforce of 291,000. 1.5 million people live within one hour's drive.
- Employment growth in Lanarkshire was almost double the Scottish rate between 2000 and 2005. Over the next decade job creation in Lanarkshire is expected to continue to grow at a faster rate that that forecast for Scotland.
- Lanarkshire exports £2.3 billion each year, 12% of Scotland's total exports.
- Wages in Lanarkshire currently run at 8% less that the UK average, representing an attractive cost proposition.
- In the last decade Lanarkshire's local business growth rate has been double that of Scotland's as a whole.
- The financial and business services sectors have doubled in a decade. One reason is that our people are excellent at customer service.
- In 2005, 27% of Lanarkshire's working age population were educated to degree level.
- Lanarkshire has five colleges educating more than 48,000 students. 13 of Scotland's 20 universities are within easy reach.